Thu, 21 Nov|
Institute of Solomon Islands Accountants
This workshop will benefit corporate accountants and managers seeking to learn about corporate governance as well as public accountants seeking to consult in this area.
Time & Location
21 Nov 2019, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Institute of Solomon Islands Accountants, NPF Plaza, Hibiscus Avenue, Honiara, Solomon Islands
About the Event
Who should attend (Audience)
This workshop will benefit corporate accountants and managers seeking to learn about corporate governance as well as public accountants seeking to consult in this area. Senior executives and directors would also find the workshop useful in terms of assisting them to discharge their governance responsibilities under the Solomon Islands Corporations Act 2009.
The workshop will cover the history of corporate governance as a discipline and consider the key responsibilities of directors, executives and others who are responsible for governing corporations. The workshop will review contemporary corporate governance guidelines including the Good Governance principles of the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX). It will also consider the duties of directors under the SI Corporations Act 2009.
- What is corporate governance?
- Powers and duties of corporate directors generally
- Review of the Solomon Islands Companies Act 2009
- Review of contemporary corporate governance guidance
- Review of Australian Stock Exchange Corporate Governance Principles including:
- Principle 1 - Lay solid foundations for management and oversight
- Principle 2 - Structure the board to be effective and add value
- Principle 3 - Instill a culture of acting lawfully, ethically and responsibly
- Principle 4 - Safeguard the integrity of corporate reports
- Principle 5 - Make timely and balanced disclosure
- Principle 6 - Respect the rights of security holders
- Principle 7 - Recognise and manage risk
- Principle 8 - Remunerate fairly and responsibly
- The powers and duties of company directors and others with governance responsibilities
- Understanding of contemporary governance guidance and practice
- Be able to apply the principles discussed to real-world governance dilemmas